As you step into the vibrant Ho Chi Minh City, seamless connectivity is the thing that cannot be missed. Luckily, Tan Son Nhat Airport has various options for purchasing SIM cards from different mobile operators to offer. This guide aims to ease your arrival by outlining where to buy SIM cards and what you can expect for a SIM card at Ho Chi Minh Airport.
But before we explore in details, take a look at eSIM (embedded SIM) – a great and trendy alternative to SIM card.
Officially launched in Vietnam in 2019, Vietnam eSIM has become more and more popular among tourists to this S-shaped country thanks to:
- Easy purchase: Buy online from anywhere, all you need is an internet-connected device and a credit/debit card or PayPal account for payment.
- Fast delivery with zero shipping costs: Receive your eSIM within 1 minute of payment via email in the form of a QR code, with no waiting for postal delivery.
- No registration hassles: Travelers need not provide any documents for eSIM registration in Vietnam.
- Various options available: Choose from different eSIM plans, depending on the eSIM providers. Below are the Vietnam eSIM plans provided by GIGAGO.
- GIGA7D: Vietnam eSIM 3GB/day + Unlimited data for Whatsapp, Viber, Zalo, Wechat – 7 days
- GIGA7: Vietnam eSIM 7GB 8 days
- GIGA30: Vietnam eSIM 3GB/day + Unlimited data for Whatsapp, Viber, Zalo, Wechat – 10 days
- GIGA10: Vietnam eSIM 10GB 16 days
- GIGA15: Vietnam eSIM 15GB 30 days
- GIGA120: Vietnam eSIM 4GB/day + 1500 minutes of calls to Itel/Vinaphone phone numbers – 30 days
The single disadvantage of eSIM is that it works on esim-compatible devices only.
In case your phone does not support eSIM, refer to our guide below for purchasing a prepaid Vietnam SIM card at Tan Son Nhat Ho Chi Minh Airport.
1. Can you get a SIM card at the Ho Chi Minh Airport upon arrival?
Yes, you can. After collecting luggages and clearing customs, you will go through several stalls selling tours and transport services. Some sell sim cards from various mobile carriers.
If you forget the stalls and choose to exit the building, you can also find several others in the Arrival hall.
For better services, always stick to these big three
2. Should I buy a SIM card for Vietnam at Ho Chi Minh City Airport?
Getting a SIM card for Vietnam at Ho Chi Minh City Airport offers instant connectivity upon arrival, letting you use your phone right away. It’s convenient, with multiple options from different providers available at the airport itself.
However, keep in mind that buying a SIM card at the airport might be a bit more expensive compared to purchasing one from local stores in the city. Also, the range of plans and options could be more limited.
So, if you prioritize immediate connection and ease, buying a SIM card at the airport is a good choice. But if you’re looking for potentially cheaper deals or a wider selection of plans, exploring stores in the city might be a better idea.
3. How much is a SIM card at Ho Chi Minh City Airport?
Here’s an approximate comparison table for SIM cards available at Ho Chi Minh City Airport from various mobile operators:
|SIM Card Type
|Price Range (approx.)
Note: Prices and data allowances are approximate and subject to change based on promotions or specific packages available at the time of purchase.
When buying a SIM card at Ho Chi Minh City Airport, you can expect to pay within these price ranges depending on the mobile operator and the specific plan you choose. These SIM cards are typically tailored for tourists and offer varied data, call, and text allowances to suit different needs during your stay in Vietnam.
4. Where to buy a Vietnam sim card at Tan Son Nhat Airport HCMC
Finding a SIM card shop at Ho Chi Minh City Airport (Tan Son Nhat Airport) is relatively easy. Here’s a detailed guide to help you locate one:
- After your flight, proceed through immigration and baggage claim.
- Once you’ve collected your luggage and passed through customs, head towards the Arrival Hall.
- In the Arrival Hall, you’ll find various kiosks and shops selling SIM cards. These shops are usually located near the exits or in visible areas close to the arrival gates. They can be identified by signs indicating “SIM Cards” or “Mobile Services” or name of mobile operators in Vietnam.
In case you cannot find one, please
- Check the airport maps or approach the information desks. They often have staff who can guide you to the nearest shops selling SIM cards. OR
- Ask Airport Staff for Assistance. They can provide directions or point you in the right direction.
- Most shops at the airport operate according to flight schedules, generally opening early in the morning and closing late in the evening.
Good to know when buying a SIM Card for Vietnam at Tan Son Nhat Airport:
- Remember to check the eSIM validity before you leave.
- Recently, there is a story shared by a tourist who bought a Viettel data sim card at a kiosk at Tan Son Nhat Airport and got scammed. He bought a 30-day SIM, but it stopped after 3 weeks of use. When he checked at the Viettel store in the city center, he was informed that the SIM was activated 1 week before his purchase.
- You will pay a much higher price than buying a SIM card in the city center because the shops have to pay a fee to be there.
- Ask the seller to insert the SIM card and do the necessary settings and check if it works before leaving to make sure you can use the SIM without issue.
5. What to prepare/procedure for buying a SIM card for Vietnam at Ho Chi Minh City Airport
To buy a SIM card at HCMC Airport, you are required to have:
- Your passport: it’s required for SIM card registration
- Cash: Carry Vietnamese Dong (VND) or USD for payment. Some shops might accept credit cards, but it’s advisable to have cash for convenience.
- Unlocked phone: Ensure your phone is unlocked and compatible with GSM networks, which are the prevalent networks in Vietnam.
And here is the process to buy and use a Ho Chi Minh Airport SIM card:
- Select the mobile operator (Viettel, Vinaphone, Mobifone, etc.) based on your preference and needs
- Discuss available plans/packages suitable for tourists with the staff and select the best one
- Pay for your selected SIM card and plan.
- Present your passport for SIM card registration.
- Follow the instructions for inserting the SIM card into your phone and setting it up.
- Test your new SIM card to ensure it’s working properly.
6. FAQs about Ho Chi Minh City Aiport SIM card for Vietnam
Can I buy a SIM card at Tan Son Nhat Airport?
Yes, you can easily purchase a SIM card at Tan Son Nhat Airport. There are several shops and kiosks within the airport that offer SIM cards from various mobile operators.
Which mobile operators’ SIM cards are available at the Tan Son Nhat airport?
You’ll find SIM cards from major Vietnamese operators such as Viettel, Vinaphone, Mobifone, and sometimes smaller providers. Each operator offers various packages tailored for tourists.
Can I pay with a credit card for the SIM card at Ho Chi Minh Airport?
Some shops might accept credit cards, but it’s advisable to have cash (Vietnamese Dong or USD) for convenience.
Are there English-speaking staff at the Ho Chi Minh Airport SIM card shops?
Not all shops might have fluent English-speaking staff, but basic communication for purchasing and setup is usually manageable.
7. Our Final Thoughts and Recommendations on Ho Chi Minh City Airport SIM Card
Acquiring a SIM card at Tan Son Nhat Airport offers immediate connectivity, ensuring you can navigate Ho Chi Minh City without communication barriers.
In case you have an eSIM-compatible device, consider buying an eSIM for much more convenience. There are various Vietnam eSIM providers, and GIGAGO is among the best. Based in Vietnam, GIGAGO has worked closely with the local operators to develop the best-fitted eSIM plans for travelers to Vietnam. Plus great support thanks to the quick approach to the operators in case of any issue, GIGAGO is a reliable shop for an eSIM for Vietnam.
► Check out GIGAGO Vietnam eSIM options